The word Ayurveda is a conjunction of two Sanskrit words, “ayur” meaning life and “Veda” meaning knowledge or Science. The word together means the knowledge of life or Science of Life. In Ayurveda the process of Ayur (life) is considered as a combined state of body (sharira), senses (indriya), psyche (mana) and soul (atma). Ayurveda not only consists of natural scientific methodology of medication but also provides the way of life.
Ayurveda is a system, which uses the inherent principles of nature, to help maintain health in a person by keeping the individual’s body, mind & spirit in perfect equilibrium with nature.
Aim of Ayurveda—
“PRAYOJANAM CHASYA – SWASTHASYA SWASTHA RAKSHANAM
AATURASYA VIKARPRASHAMANAM CHA”
According to charak samhita (CH.SM.SU. 30/26) (an ancient Ayurveda text) Ayurveda has two main objectives:-
1st is ‘swasthasya swasthya rakshanam” i.e. to help the healthy person to protect & maintain his swasthya ( wellness).
2nd is “aaturasya vikar prashamanam” i.e. to help a diseased person to become healthy & to stay healthy forever.
In other words Ayurveda helps us to understand that therapeutics is not strictly related to Dravya Chikitsa i.e. treatment with medicines but also to the form of Bhava Chikitsa i.e. treatment without medicines and in the form of Achar Rasayan (good conducts both personal as well as social).
Ayurveda has not restricted itself as the path, which treats diseases but being the science of life has covered all the aspects necessary to maintain health and to restore it when inflicted with a disease.
Charak has specified that ignorance is no excuse and we have to take pains to learn and to follow various rules and regulations to remain healthy.
These rules and regulations are nothing but guidelines to remain fit, refrain from diseases and lead a healthy life. These guidelines have been mentioned under the topic of Swasthavritta.
Despite of all the preventive measures if we suffer from a disease we should be able to known the probable causes of that disease and the probable fallacies on our part in following the rules and regulations put before us in the form of the first objective.
Ignorance will lead to disease and it is here that the second objective of aaturasya vikara prashaman comes into picture.
Ayurveda was written in eight parts popularly known as the Ashtang Ayurveda.
“TASYA AYURVEDASYA ANGANYAASHTO- TADYTHA KAYACHITIKSA, SHALAKYAM, SHALYAAPHRITKAM, VISHGARVAIRODHI PRASHAMANAM, BHOOTVIDYA, KAUMARBHRITYAKAM, RASAYANAM, VAJIKARNAMITI.”(CH.SM.SU. 30/28)
“SHALYA, SHALAKYAM, KAYACHIKIYSA, BHOOTVIDYA, KAUMARBHRITYAM, AGADTANTRAM, RASAYANTANTRAM, VAJIKARNATANTRAM ITI (SU.SM.SU.1/7)”
The writings that relate to Ashtang Ayurveda provide an introductory information of the eight branches of Ayurveda, namely: Surgery (Shalya), ENT with Ophthalmology (Shalakya), Medicine (Kaya), Bhoota, Gynac, Obstretics, Paediatrics (Kaumara), Medical jurisprudence and toxicology (Agada), Gerontology(Rasayan) and ScienceofAphrodiasic(Vajikarana)..
- ShalyaTantra – the word shalya refers to the things that cause discomfort to the body and the mind. Shalya is of two types, namely: shaarir (within the body) and agantuj (outisde thebody).
The shalya present inside the body is considered as the Shaarir Shalya.. Example: Unhealthy teeth, Hair, Nails, imbalanced doshas, dhatus and mala, abscess, tumor, fetus etc. Whereas agantuj are the shalya present outside the body. Example: Thorns, Stonepieces, ironpieces, dustparticles, worry etc.
It deals with the means such as Yantra (Tools), Shastra (Instruments), Kshara (Alkalies) and Agni (Fire) to remove the shalya in the body by different methods.
- Shalakya Tantra- It deals with the diseases related to Ear, Nose, Throat and Eyes. In other words it deals with the disease of Urdhva Jatru region i.e diseases in the organs above the Neck (Jatru) & their treatment.
3) Kaya Chikitsa (Medicine/Therapeutics)-
it is the branch of Ayurved that deals with internal medicine. The treatment involved is called “Kayachikitsa”, where Kaya means “Agni “and Chikitsa means “treatment”.
It is noteable that the entire Ayurvedic therapeutics is based on this concept of Agni. The concept of Kaya (Agni) is unique and is responsible for bio-transformation.
As it is known that energy can neither be created nor it can be destroyed. In human body Kaya provides the necessary energy for all bodily activities. As energy can be changed from one form to another the living body derive energy from the food eaten and breathing air. Biological Kaya transforms this energy to the energy, which is utilized by our cells.
In simple words, the vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fats etc. eaten are bio transformed by this Kaya to the bodily substances. As long as Kaya is proper all the activities in body are carried out smoothly. Any disturbance in Kaya causes imbalance in the homeostasis (equilibrium) and disturbs physiology which is nothing but the disease. In Ayurveda therapeutics devotes to correction and maintenance of biological Kaya through the means of Mantra, Mani and Aushadhi.
Keeping in mind all the benefits of Ayurveda it must be kept in mind that anything and everything that is herbal can not naturally become Ayurvedic medicine, but only the therapy which considers the above mentioned concepts of Ayurved qualifies to be called as Ayurvedic medicine.
4) Bhoota (Graha)- it is the branch of Ayurveda that deals with diseases acquired or inherited from apparently unknown causes. In modern terminology it can be considered as idiopathic diseases in which the exact cause of disease is unknown
According to Ayurveda, diseases are caused by affliction due to Deva, Asura, Gandharva, Yaksha, Rakshasa, Pitara, Pishacha, Naga and other bad demons or evils. The exact patho- physiology of these disorders is to be extensively researched.
5) Baal (Kaumara)- it is the branch of Ayurveda that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to preconception, childbearing (Pregnancy), childbirth (delivery) and diseases of the children (Pediatrics).
6) Medical jurisprudence and toxicology (Agadatantra)- This branch deals with the toxicological as well as medicolegal aspects of the treatment . It includes the treatment part of a disease that involves any poisonous substance or lethal chemicals. This branch is mainly related to toxins & their antivenoms.
7) Rasayana Tantra-It is the branch of Ayurveda that deals with various aspects of preventive health care. Without rasayana it is possible to gain neither oratory nor the desirable aura. It includes longevity, improved memory, health, youthfulness, glow, complexion, generosity, and strength of body and senses. Rasayana improves the metabolic activities and results in best possible bio- transformation leading to health.
8) Vajikarana Tantra- it is the branch of Ayurveda that deals with the sexual aspects. It includes medications for diseases related with reproduction namely spermatogenesis, aphrodisiacs etc.
Dr. Ashish Kumar
Product Manager | 9650087807
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AYURVEDA & MODERN MEDICINE
The difference between Ayurveda and Modern Medicine is quite simple that is Modern Medicine treats only symptoms not root cause on the other hand Ayurveda treats whole body with eradication of root cause.
Modern Medicine also known as Allopathic Medicine is the perfect tool in the cases of trauma and emergencies. However it’s a disease care system and to manage only the symptoms of the disease. When you visit a doctor’s clinic, he asks you your symptoms, checks your blood pressure and temperature and then issues a prescription. That prescription contains a drug which suppresses only the symptoms. So in reality, most of the drugs never take care of your problem.
Ayurveda on the other hand, focuses to find out the root cause of the problem and treats the disease and body as a whole.
Imbalance in the physiological functions gives rise to bodily illness, so there is always a root cause in pain, discomfort and any other types of illness. For examples, let’s take Headache, there are many root causes in which headache is a symptom. Indigestion is one reason in which headache can occur. If you go to the Allopathic Doctor, they will not take into a consideration your diet, routine and water intake…… they will just give you a pain killer. For the Same problem an Ayurveda Vaidhya will treat both indigestion and headache simultaneously. As a weak or impaired digestion is the root cause of most health illness.
A real cure is a cure that completely eradicates the problem, not just a temporary fix.
In Salveo, our endeavor is to provide a medicine which gives complete cure and maintains wellness.
Dr. Ashish Kumar
Product Manager | 9650087807
- BENEFITS OF AYURVEDA MEDICINES
- SIDE EFFECT FREE – Completely natural, so there is no issue of the side effects.
- APPROACH – Takes body as a whole. A complete physician is that who has knowledge of all the systems of medicines!
- WHOLESOMENESS – Ayurveda talks about complete wellness- physical, psychological, spiritual, economical and as well social wellness. For Ayurveda wellness is a complete package, not a scattered issue.
- ALL NATURAL – Ayurveda is completely natural and it believes that to follow the nature is the only way to achieve the complete wellness.
- PROVIDE COMPLETE CURE – Ayurveda considers Cure of a disease as the only way to go for the treatments. According to Ayurveda there cannot be less than the Cure in a medical science.
- WORKS ON ROOT CAUSE – Ayurveda understands the root cause first and then applies the same understanding to root out the disease from the body, this is the reason Ayurveda achieves the complete wellness and a state of cure and back to normalcy very easily.
- DIET & LIFE STYLE MANAGEMENT – Ayurveda is all about how to live- life. So diet and lifestyle are main concerns of Ayurveda. Medicines are not that important as important is diet and lifestyle according to Ayurveda and this is being followed completely by Ayurveda.
ERADICATION BY PURIFICATION – Ayurveda considers the detoxification as a primary part of the treatments and considers that until unless the disease causing factors are available in the body, diseases will keep on popping up again and again.
Dr. Ashish Kumar
Product Manager | 9650087807